They say imitation is the best form of flattery. It can also be downright scrumptious.
I was planning on making a traditional flag cake for our 4th of July cookout, but when I saw this “Patriotic Berry Trifle” in a Kroger ad, I knew I had to make it!
But there wasn’t a recipe on the flyer or on the Kroger website. I went searching and finally found some fancy, detailed instructions here on YouTube. So I started to watch, and was interrupted several times by children, so I tried again. As they started talking about glazing the angelfood cake, my eyes started to glaze over too. Just way too many steps for me. I wouldn’t mind it so much except I’m not in a phase of my life where I can concentrate for long portions of time without little people doing something crazy. I need simple, straightforward, frugal, and fast! So I winged it, and came up with this.
- 1 large angelfood cake, cubed into ½ inch squares
- 1½ 32-oz containers vanilla yogurt of your choice
- 2 quarts of strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 2 pint of blueberries
- 1 pint of raspberries
- ½ container of whipped topping
- Place a third of the strawberries, blueberries and raspberries in a layer on the bottom of the bowl/cake plate or whatever serving dish you're using.
- Top with a layer of ½ of the angelfood cake cubes, then 2 cups of yogurt.
- Repeat layers- berries, cake, yogurt.
- Top with remaining raspberries.
- Place a layer of whipped topping on top of the raspberries, then garnish with strawberries and blueberries in a flag design,
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill for an hour or until ready to serve.
Save any leftover ingredients and make individual parfaits in mason jars. Delicious!
Testing out our new commenting system. You can now reply via email!
Commenting via email! 😀
Posting again from email